Tuesday, August 28, 2012


PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Caffe Ibis Roasting Facility Fire

Logan, Utah – August 28, 2012, – The Logan Fire Department with automatic aid from North Logan, Smithfield and Cache County responded to a report of a structure fire at 710 West 200 North at the CaffĂ© Ibis Roasting facility at 10:14 am. 

Upon arrival the fire department found a heavy amount of smoke from a large diameter vent through the roof.  After making contact with facility representatives it was determined that a fire had started in the chafe collector of a coffee roasting machine and spread to an exhaust afterburner. 

Firefighters used water to extinguisher the fire through the top of the exhaust vent and also in the bottom of the chafe collector.  Some disassembly of the venting system was needed to ensure the fire was fully extinguished.

Damage was estimated at $2000.00 in downtime to disassemble, clean and reassemble the 1950s era roasting machine.  No damage was done to the building and the business anticipates being back in production the next day. 

The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental and originated in the chafe collector of the system by the ignition of creosol type build in the exhaust system.  
No exposures to other structures or injuries were reported.


Contact:
Craig Humphreys, Fire Marshal
Logan City Fire Department
76 East 200 North
Logan, Utah 84321
435-716-9515 Office

###

No comments:

Post a Comment