FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Logan, Utah – July 7, 2018 – On July 6, 2018 at approx. 6:40 pm the Logan Fire Department, with the assistance of automatic aid departments, responded to a report of a structure fire at 1480 North 400 East, at a skilled nursing facility. The fire was reported in a single resident’s room. As the Fire Department arrived, an evacuation of the North wing was underway. Upon entry into the fire room, with the aid of the automatic fire sprinkler system, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire. Firefighters then worked to ventilate smoke and remove water from the building.
It was determined that an employee of the facility discovered the bed of one of the residents on fire. The employee immediately assisted the woman out of the bed and into the hallway. Another employee attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher as the fire sprinkler system activated. The resident was transported to a local hospital for minor injuries. Another resident who fell during the evacuation of the building was also transported to a local hospital as a precaution. Three employees were treated and released on-scene for possible smoke inhalation. The actions of the employee saved the life of the resident at the risk of her own safety. The facility utilized their evacuation procedure, which helped get the other residents to safety.
The fire damage was confined to a single room. A joint investigation with the Utah State Fire Marshal’s Office was conducted and found the fire to be accidental in nature and started by the failure of an air conditioning appliance.
Assistant Chief/Fire Marshal
Logan Fire Department
76 East 200 North
Logan, Utah 84321